One great thing about my dad is this: He never threatened anyone I ever dated. He always told them the same thing, “If you hurt her, the one to fear is my daughter. Nothing I can do will be half as fucking scary as what she’ll come up with.” He taught them to fear me, not him. That I was the boss of myself, not him, not them. I treasure that.
“Hiding your hurt only intensifies it. Problems grow in the dark and only become bigger and bigger. But when exposed to the light of truth, they shrink. You are only as sick as your secrets. So take off your mask, stop pretending you’re perfect and walk into freedom.”—Rick Warren (via onlinecounsellingcollege)
1. You told me you were in love with me and you wanted to spend forever with me but you would have thrown that all away for 8 seconds of his voice and a kiss from him.
2. “I can wait a long time to be with you, you’re worth it.” Shit you waited what? a couple months? You could have at least given me enough time to learn what my skin feels like against yours.
3. When you told me everything would be okay because you loved me, did you mean it would be okay for you or me? I don’t really feel okay anymore. I don’t feel safe here anymore. I know you don’t want me and I want to tell you that its okay, but its not. I still love you.
4. Remember when you told me I wouldn’t have to watch you be with someone else? That us not being together would only be temporary. Love, this stopped being temporary as soon as you told me you had feelings for him because these scars are so permanent.
5. “I’m sorry for everything.” Oh man, this was my favorite. You’re sorry for stomping on my heart and leaving me, even though though you promised you wouldn’t. I’m sorry that you couldn’t let go of him long enough to see that this was real.
“You need to understand that I’ll never be the girl that begs you to stay. If you decide to walk out of my life, I might be sad for a little while but know that I’ll never chase you. I’ll just let you go.”—Midnight thoughts (I may love you, but i’ll never need you)
“Sometimes I wonder what the fuck I’m doing. Am I ready for this? Am I ready for a different face, a different taste? A deeper voice pronouncing the word ‘stay’ or teeth not quite as square? Can I lose myself in eyes that are missing the darker tone of blue than what I’m used to, and am I okay to never see the freckle that lies on your waterline? Am I prepared for new inside jokes and a laugh that doesn’t sound like the coughing fit of a man with a three week old cold? I’m not sure. I’m not sure if I’m ready to have my dreams invaded with some else’s lips. But I guess I have to be.”—Jessica Haley Mathews, “Am I Ready?” (via wordsnquotes)
“Please don’t come around here if all you can talk to me about is the weather, or if you have to ask me how my day was. Because I’m not quite sure how well I can handle small talk with the same person I used to be able to understand loud and clear when she was sound asleep in my bed. I’m not quite sure if I can handle speaking to the same person, who never had to say a single word for me to know exactly how she was feeling, as if she were a perfect stranger.”—Connotativewords | jl | I’d rather not have you at all (via connotativewords)
“I may never be happy, but tonight I am content. Nothing more than an empty house, the warm hazy weariness from a day spent setting strawberry runners in the sun, a glass of cool sweet milk, and a shallow dish of blueberries bathed in cream. Now I know how people can live without books, without college. When one is so tired at the end of a day one must sleep, and at the next dawn there are more strawberry runners to set, and so one goes on living, near the earth. At times like this I’d call myself a fool to ask for more…”—18-year-old Sylvia Plath, who took her own life 50 years ago today, in her diary (via lunaoki)
“You are so good. So good, you’re always feeling so much. And sometimes it feels like you’re gonna bust wide open from all the feeling, don’t it? People like you are the best in the world, but you sure do suffer for it.”—Silas House, This is My Heart for You (via darlingjustbehuman)